Got questions? God’s got answers
By: Pastor Kirk Schield, Shepherd of the Lake, Lake County News Chronicle
The Boston Globe once listed their top ten “unanswerable” questions. Here’s one: “I am nine years old and have a cat that eats regularly and needs to go on a diet. He also eats mice when he is out. How many calories in a mouse?” While that’s a funny unanswerable question, there is one question that needs to be answered by every one of us.
That question is this: Who do you believe Jesus Christ is?
Sometimes we like to answer questions with more questions, so here are some for you. Don’t worry-I’ll give the answers too.
1) What does the name “Jesus” mean?
2) What does “Christ” mean?
3) What does “redeem” mean?
4) True or False: Jesus is the only Savior from sin and eternal death.
5) T or F: Jesus was not tempted to sin as we are.
6) T or F: Jesus didn’t have to die for your sins but because He loves you very much He wanted to die for you.
1) The name Jesus is his personal name. A name might represent who you are or what you can do. The name Jesus means “the Lord saves.”
2) The word Christ is not a last name like the family names we have. The name Christ is a title. As God’s Son, Jesus was “the Christ” which in Greek means the “Anointed One; or one set apart, like a king. When Adam and Eve rebelled against God, they “sinned” against Him. God is holy-that is, without sin. As descendants of theirs we are sinners too. All of us would be forever apart from God. But, God promised that He would send a Savior. That Savior is Jesus, “the Christ,” set apart by God to redeem us.
3) To “redeem” means to buy back. Years ago, when we bought certain items, we would get S&H Green Stamps which we would put in stamp books. You would take your pile of Green Stamp books and redeem them for kitchen appliances or something. By His perfect, sinless life and His death on the cross, “redeemed” us from our enemies sin, death, and the devil.
4) The correct answer is True: Jesus is the only Savior from sin and eternal death. Every other “religion” teaches that one must work to please a god in order to get to “a better place.” Only the Christian faith has the real solution. That solution is God’s free gift of forgiveness given to all who put their faith in Jesus alone.
5) The answer is False: Jesus was tempted to sin in every way that we are, so He understands all that you and I go through when we’re tempted.
6) True: Jesus didn’t have to die for us but He loved us so much that He willingly died on the cross—and since He is also true God, He rose from the dead because He is more powerful than death.
One more question: What are the first two words of the Apostles’ Creed? The answer: “I believe.” That’s important for us to answer, because I cannot believe in Jesus, the Christ, for you. But, when you hear about your sin and the eternal separation from God that goes with it, and then hear about God’s love in Jesus, God’s Holy Spirit leads you to believe that Jesus is your Savior.
Pastor Kirk Schield of Shepherd of the Lake doesn’t know all the answers but he knows that the Bible is true and that Jesus is the one and only answer to all of your questions.