Local shopping: Silver Bay/Beaver Bay gift guide
By: LaReesa Sandretsky, Lake County News Chronicle
Last week, the News-Chronicle featured holiday gifts that can be purchased at locally-owned shops in Two Harbors. This week, we took a trip to Silver Bay and Beaver Bay to find some unique gifts (see them below). However, tangible gifts aren’t the only option for holiday shopping. Gift givers can purchase an experience or service for someone on their list and give the gift of great memories while supporting local businesses.
• Buy a loved one a gift card for a night out at a local restaurant. If the recipient has children, offer a free night of childcare as a complement to the gift card.
• Give a loved one a night—or a weekend—away. There are numerous hotels and resorts within driving distance. Check websites for amenities and rates. What could be more relaxing than watching the sun set over the Big Lake?
• Gift cards can be purchased for a number of local establishments—not just restaurants and hotels. Consider buying a loved one a gift card to pay for a service they use regularly or give them a new experience. Treat them to a haircut, gym membership, massage, auto repair or housecleaning.
• Enroll a loved one in a Community Education class and give them the gift of a new hobby. Winter options include wire basket making, cooking classes, knitting and felting courses, guitar lessons, swing dancing classes and Russian language courses. This winter, for the first time, folks can rent the pool at either Wm. Kelley School or Two Harbors High School for a pool party. The winter issue of Good News, which is mailed to all school district residents, will contain information about community education classes. Winter classes all start in January and gift certificates can be purchased at either community education office (Two Harbors or Silver Bay.) Go to isd381.k12.mn.us or call 834-8201 ext. 8230 for more details.
This week, check out:
• Christmas Tea and Cookie Sale, 1 - 3 p.m. at United Church, Two Harbors.
• Holiday Open Houses, all day at Waterfront Gallery and RSJ’s Everything.
• Holiday Craft and Gift Sale, 10 a.m. - 3 p.m. at the Two Harbors Community Center.
• A Northwoods Christmas Craft Show, 11 a.m. - 3 p.m. at Northern Rail Traincar Suites.