100 years ago, 1912
Mr. L. L. Parkinson is in the city and is installing a new light on Duluth & Iron Range dock No. 6 for the guidance of vessels entering this port. The light has penetrating qualities far in excess of any other light in use due to a secret process known only to Mr. Parkinson in the composition of material used in coating the reflector. It is claimed that this light will penetrate a dense fog for a distance of half a mile while the best light in service now can be seen only about three to four hundred feet.
Waldo applies for mail route
E.E. Cavallin read a communication at the special meeting at the Lake County Development Association asking for assistance toward securing the rural free mail delivery route through the town of Waldo. A proposed route, the matter addressed to the local post office and a proper petition had been secured. A resolution was adopted by the association and copies forwarded to Congressman Miller as well as to the post office department.
75 years ago, 1937
The fact that nearly every store in Two Harbors carries and sells pasteurized milk indicates Lake County dairymen are losing volume of business for lack of proper safeguards for the milk supply of the city. Dr. E. P. Christensen, health officer, recommends that all dairy herds be tested for disease and the prohibition of milk sales from those dairies which are not so tested. The city council is deliberating on his recommendation and pasteurization.
Historic site changes hands
Alfred Sonju, by virtue of a deal consummated Monday, became the owner of the building next to his garage which once housed the First National bank. The building, occupied for a number of years by the Lee Kee Laundry is one of the oldest in the city. The building was built by Thomas Bury and has housed a saloon operated by Burr and Howard, then one operated by Thomas Martin. J. M. Anderson purchased the building and founded the First National bank in 1902.
50 years ago, 1962
Halloween, rather than an evening of pranks, will be an evening during which the Junior High School Newspaper Club of Two Harbors will gather various articles for patients at Moose Lake. Club members wrote to the hospital officials to get an idea as to the patients’ needs and will call on doors throughout the community for donations of greeting cards, cosmetics, toothpaste, and clothing in good condition for both men and women.
1901: Wireless telegraph first came into general use. Mid 1920’s: Radio began broadcasting, crystal receiving sets first used. 1931: Television began broadcasting with only 20 mile radius. 1951: First television broadcast across the continent. 1962: First “Telstar” satellite, 22,000 miles in outer space, relayed television programs from U.S. to Europe and from Europe to U.S.
25 years ago, 1987
A new feature has begun this week in your Chronicle with weekly weather from the shores of Lake Superior and far inland at Isabella. The weather will be gathered from the Two Harbors Waste Treatment Plant and Environmental Learning Center showing maximum and minimum daily temperatures as well as precipitation. To add a note of suspense and futuristic point of view, forecasts will be provided by a wise old area resident, Toivo Two-Feathers LaRoux. Toivo relies on the folklore and skills passed down through his family for generations to share uncannily accurate state of the art weather accounts.
Church celebrates 60 years
It began with fish cakes. In 1927 about a dozen ladies aid society members began holding fishcake dinners to raise money for what quickly grew into a thriving Lutheran congregation. Fishcake fundraisers were a mainstay of the church under the ministries of Rev. E.J. Tetli, 1927-1943; J. Obert Jorgenson, 1944-1951; and A. H. Anderson, 1951-1953. The tradition changed in 1953 when Rev. John Reppe took charge. Fishcake dinners are now reserved for special occasions such as the dinner to be served in celebration of the 60th anniversary.