Lake Co. Past: Aug. 31From Lake County newspaper archives.
100 years ago, 1912
Post office to be closed Sundays
A very important order has been issued by the post office department to the effect that all post offices of the first and second class shall hereafter be closed on Sundays. This means that with the exception of special delivery letters, absolutely no incoming mail can be secured on Sunday. Mail will be sent out the same as usual on Sunday. Put a special delivery stamp on the letters you expect to reach their destination on Sunday, if you want them delivered on that day.
Something in a name
Capt. Gust Jackson and his first mate left this morning for Superior where they went to bring home their automobile, Titanic, which was in a collision in that city some time ago. They are expected home this evening.
75 years ago, 1937
Duluth Dukes to play here
The Two Harbors city team will play the Duluth Dukes in an exhibition game at the Horace Johnson Athletic field. The game will be called at 5:15 sharp . Grandstand tickets for the game can be bought in advance at Falks pool hall. Due to the large number of children who have to be kept in the grandstand, the space for adults will be limited, so all fans are urged to buy their tickets early.
New store hours
Hines Economy Market announces its new store hours: Open Nights and Sundays (until further notice) “For the information of the consuming public: all of our full time employees are members of the Retail Clerks Union – Local 930, and are without exception, members in good standing. We operate under a signed agreement with Local 930 which provides a 51 hour working week. Clerks who work in excess of 51 hours are paid overtime according to agreement.”
50 years ago, 1962
Clubhouse closing ends era in city
The clubhouse facilities maintained by the Employees Association of the DM&IR Co., with considerable financial aid by the company itself, located for 65 years on 1st Ave. on the corner of 7th St. will close effective Aug. 31st. At that time the last spark of life that once included recreation of a great many types, a center of social activity for youths and their elders, a gathering place for social events and a home for men who had aged in their service of the railroad company and the community expires. The date on the cornerstone of the Clubhouse in Two Harbors reads 1897.
School bells will ring next week
It’s Back to School on September 4th for more than 4,000 boys and girls in Lake County, and Ray Stensvad, superintendent of the far-flung district known as School District No. 381 today announced a general resume of the opening situation, a list of teachers and other pertinent facts coincidental to the opening of the term. This past year, Lake County had 4,079 students. The growth of our school system has been very rapid with enrollment in 1949-1950 at 1234 and 1954-1955 at 2694. It appears that this year the enrollment will be more than 4,250 students and 181 teachers on staff.
25 years ago, 1987
Silver Bay enrollment down
William Kelley High School Principal George Starkovich sates Kelley will have about 290 students at the beginning of the school year, down about 30 from last year. In spite of the shrinking enrollment in part due to families leaving town in the wake of Reserve Mining. Co. shutdown, most classes and after school activities will be maintained. The district is also working on providing a video link between Kelley and Two Harbors High school. The link will allow teachers to reach more students and frill out courses that otherwise might not be offered. The two way link could be operating for testing by January and video classes could be on the schedule by fall of ’88.
Do you remember?
Falks Phamacy; Lauralee Department Store; Tugboat Annies; Marney’s & John’s Lingerie; LeBonet; Hardees; the music by Split Rock, Tracy Allen and the Swingsets; Mike James Band; and Fish and the Fins.
Want more history? The Lake county Historical Society is a good place to start. It’s at the Depot in Two Harbors, 834-4898 or visit lakecountyhistoricalsociety.org. There’s also the Bay Area Historical Society in Silver Bay (226-4524), the Finland Historical Society (353-7380 or 353-7550) and the Historical Committee of the Isabella Community Council (323-7644).