Tech programs to begin this fall
Industrial mechanical technology (millwright) and welding diploma programs will begin at local high schools this fall. The programs are offered through Mesabi Range Community and Technical College and students will receive the same certification that graduates of the college receive. Prospective students can attend meetings next week where they can enroll and fill out financial aid forms. The millwright information session will be at William Kelley High School in Silver Bay on July 17, 12 - 6 p.m. The welding session will be at Two Harbors High School on July 19, 12 - 6 p.m. The fall semester begins Aug. 27. More information is at www.mesabirange.edu.
AEOA seeks candidate for board
The Arrowhead Economic Opportunity Agency is searching for candidates to fill a position on the consumer sector board. In particular, AEOA is seeking minorities ages 18 - 50 who have a connection to AEOA services. Interested people should call Diane Krukemeyer at (218) 748-7322 or email@example.com. The deadline is Aug. 20.
Flood declared federal disaster
The counties and tribal areas affected by the June flood, including Lake County, have been declared a major federal disaster. With damage estimates at more than $100 million, state and local officials have secured federal funding to cover debris removal, repair and replacement costs. FEMA will fund 75 percent of the costs and local and state governments will cover the remaining 25 percent.
DSACF offers grants for flood recovery
The Duluth-Superior Area Community Foundation has created an emergency fund to support local nonprofits affected by the flood. Lake County nonprofits are eligible and can apply at www.dsacommunityfoundation.com. The grants will be offered in amounts from $1,000 - $5,000 per nonprofit. Contact Jon Blevins at (218) 726-0232 or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Calling all artists
The Lake County Soil & Water Conservation District is hosting a logo contest. The SWCD provides technical assistance to help property owners and local units of government implement sound land management planning to protect the natural resources of Lake County. It also provides environmental outreach and education to schools and community organizations.
All citizens of Lake County are eligible to enter the logo contest, and local artists and students are encouraged to participate. Participants may submit more than one logo design. Logos should be a clean, simple visual image that represents both the mission of Lake SWCD and the natural resources of Lake County. Contest entries must be submitted by 4 p.m. Friday, August 31st. For more information, contact Jennifer Thiemann at Jennifer.email@example.com, 616 Third Avenue, Two Harbors.