Lake County Past: April 15From Lake County newspaper archives.
From Lake County newspaper archives.
100 years ago, 1911
For the past three years the publishers of The Journal News have devoted at least one issue each spring to the boosting of Lake County in an agricultural way. Our one thought in getting out these editions each year is to not only advertise our agricultural resources abroad but also to stimulate interest right here at home. Included in the pages are information on seed selections, packing and shipping produce, split log drag, wide tires help, and spring hotbeds.
The Duluth & Iron Range company is making great plans for carrying a large number of summer tourists to the north end of its line during the coming summer. If the right kind of bid were made, Two Harbors would be made one of the important stopping-off places.
Meanwhile the Booth line boat Easton is making fairly regular trips up the North Shore, leaving here for the up trip Sundays and Wednesdays.
75 years ago, 1936
The seniors of Two Harbors High School are rehearsing for their annual presentation. This years’ play is “The Queen’s Husband,” by Robert Emmett Sherwood. An interesting personality now at work on the set is Frank Tidball. Frank has worked out a record apprenticeship of three years on the high school stage without recompense of any kind. He is the official handy man and most useful member. Others working on the complex set are Robert Keller, Tollef Felland, Harold Albrant, Herbert Lindstrom, and Harry Blaisdell.
50 years ago, 1961
Twelve buildings were destroyed Sunday at the William Wartianinen place at Toimi after sparks from a chimney of the house ignited the dry grass. The Art Peterson Hillside Dairy had fifteen acres burned over after a pile of shavings next to the barn caught fire and the old Minahan home at the falls west of Knife River was destroyed and two acres burned over. Grass fires burned over several other locations, prompting reminders of the need to prevent fires during the spring season.
25 years ago, 1986
When the Lake County Historical Society moved the fishing tug Crusader from Knife River to the Depot Museum in Two Harbors recently, one of the more interested people was Reuben Hill of Larsmont. Reuben, his father, and brother were the builders of the Crusader for Carl Erickson in the late 1930s and the boat was christened by Crown Prince Olaf of Norway with a great deal of fanfare and attention because of the royalty in attendance. Reuben states he has probably been involved in the building of more than 120 boats over the years and although the one he is currently working is his “last boat,” per his wife, he is not certain about the future of his boat-building business in Larsmont.