Lake County Past: Oct. 29From Lake County newspaper archives.
From Lake County newspaper archives.
100 years ago, 1910
The new Waldo school house recently erected by George Spurbeck, one of Two Harbors’ foremost contractors and builders, was duly and formally dedicated on the 23rd. In addition to the residents living in the immediate vicinity of the new building, there were a goodly number of outsiders, so to speak, present who participated in the ceremonies in one way or another.
One of the acts at the Star for the last half of the week is the vaudeville act of Van and Van. They are playing “The Doctor’s Patience” which is a sparkling farce full of witty sayings and funny situations of young married couples.
Overheard on prices
“Flour and lard is getting so high that bakers have found it necessary to reduce the size of the hole in the doughnut.”
75 years ago,1935
Activity on Seventh street in Two Harbors marks a change from tenantry to ownership on the part of business men who have bought the property and are making changes. Among those are Charles E. Welch, who is making extensive improvements to the building which will occupy as a hardware and furniture store; Archie Murphy, who is making alterations of the Cedar block for a garage and storage room for cars; Gust Nelson, who has leased the Iron Dock hall and is making extensive improvements to that building.
A rose in bloom on October 29th in the landscaping fronting the home of J. R. Stevens on 2nd Avenue and fresh ripe strawberries from the garden of Mrs. Laura Young on 8th Ave.
It has been suggested that slot machines and punchboard be legalized and licensed in Minnesota as one means of raising revenue for old-age pensions. The argument that the state is flooded with such devices and might as well cut in on the “take” can best be answered by saying that any state which must split profits with racketeers is in a sorry way indeed.
50 years ago, 1960
Fire departments from Two Harbors and the US Forestry Fire Unit were kept busy on Saturday and Sunday when they were called first to the MAC Minkery operated by D. D. Chicken on State Rd. 2 north of Two Harbors, destroying about five tons of hay and tools.
The fire at the Harvey Schiller residence started when gasoline ignited by an electric heater when cleaning parts of an auto. Donald Paremsky suffered minor burns about the hands and face in trying to put out the fire which gutted the shed and charred furniture and other contents in the building.
Costume judging is at Thomas Owens Park for children up through sixth grade. This will be followed by a parade and free movie at Harbor Theatre.
Seventh-, eighth- and ninth-grade dance at the DM&IR clubhouse. Dance at Teenage Center for grades 10, 11, and 12.
Ads of the day
FOR SALE: Old hearse, one owner, 250,000 careful miles.