Calendar: Oct. 1-29Event listings are free and run until the date passes. Send your information to chronicle@lcnews chronicle.com, or call 834-2141.
- Program “Superior Agates: Beauty on the Inside,” 2:30-3:30 p.m., Gooseberry Falls State Park nature cart by visitor center. More, visit www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_ parks/gooseberry_falls/index.html.
- Two Harbors High School homecoming pep fest, 5 p.m., THHS gym. All are welcome to attend. Football game at 7 p.m.
- Cribbage tournament, singles at 9:30 a.m. and doubles begin at 12:30 p.m., Duluth Town Hall. More, call 525-7415.
- Program “Clues to Fall Color,” 2:30-3:30 p.m., Gooseberry Falls State Park.
- Oktoberfest dinner, 4-7 p.m., Shepherd of Lake Lutheran Church. Cost is $8 for adults, $5 for children.
- Alzheimer’s Association Memory Walk, registration starts at 9 a.m. and the walk begins at 10 a.m., Bayfront Festival Park in Duluth. More, visit www.alz.org or call 733-2560.
The choral group Superior Sound will perform, 3 p.m. Zion Lutheran Church in Finland.
Carlton-Cook-Lake-St. Louis Community Health Board meeting, 1-3:30 p.m., Stanley Conference Room No. 290 in Duluth.
Two Harbors Planning Commission open house to present proposed elements from the 2010 Two Harbors Comprehensive Plan currently being developed, 6-7 p.m., Two Harbors Community Center.
Oct. 5-Nov. 9
College of St. Scholastica emeritus course “Northern Minnesota Geology and the Black Bear,” 10:30 a.m.-noon, United Protestant Church in Silver Bay. The course will be held every Tuesday to Nov. 9. The course will be held 1:30-3 p.m. the same dates at Two Harbors Public Library. More, call 723-5940.
- Homesteaders meeting, flu shots available from 11:45 a.m.-12:30 p.m. with annual Harvest Potluck Lunch at 12:30 p.m., Duluth Town Hall. Todd Lindahl will host a program on early shipping and shipwrecks on western Lake Superior following the potluck. More, call 525-4154.
- Socially Active Seniors annual fall trip to Grand Marais, leaves at 9 a.m. Deadline to sign up is Sept. 27. Cost $12 for bus ride and lunch. More, call 830-0600.
Program “Superior Agates: Beauty on the Inside,” 10:30-11:30 a.m., Gooseberry State Park nature cart by visitor center. More, visit www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_parks/gooseberry_falls/index.html.
- Autism benefit, 8-11 a.m., pancake breakfast; 1-5 p.m., brats and hot dogs; 6 p.m., raffle; 4-8 p.m., Gary Powell and His Cowboy Outfit perform; 9 p.m.-close, Wildwood Band performs; Two Harbors American Legion. Proceeds go to Lake Superior School District special education department.
- Clifton Fire Department Harvest Dinner, 5-7 p.m., Duluth Town Hall.
- Old Civilian Conservation Corps Camp guided hike, 10:30 a.m.-noon, meet at the art column near the visitor center at Gooseberry Falls State Park.
- Local Tom Broadbent’s musical “Deal Dammit!” shown, 7 p.m., The Music Box Theater at 1407 Nicollet Ave. S. in Minneapolis. More, call (952) 922-3303.
- Global work party, 1-6:30 p.m., Round River Farm in Finland. There will be speeches, kids games, a tour of the farm and energy systems and more. More, visit www. round-river.com.
- North Shore Judo Club class, 5:30 p.m. with advanced classes at 8 p.m., Knife River Recreation Center. Classes also held Tuesdays and Thursdays at 6:30 p.m. beginning Oct. 12 at Masonic Lodge in Two Harbors. Classes will be held at a time to be determined at Bassett Town Hall Fridays beginning Oct. 15. More, call 834-2368.
- A circle of poets and appreciators of poetry, 6:30-8 p.m., Two Harbors Public Library. Aspiring and accomplished poets are asked to select and share their own original work or favorite poems written by others.
Bison, cheese and more with Harbor Mates, departures from Silver Bay and Two Harbors. More, call Ann Bradley at the Lake Bank at 834-2111.
Duluth Township Board meeting, 7 p.m., Duluth Town Hall.
Widows’ potluck dinner, 1 p.m., community room at Harbor Point Apartments. Bingo to follow dinner.
North Shore Community School Board meeting, 6:30 p.m., school library.
Duluth/North Shore Sanitary District meeting, 7 p.m., French River Lutheran Church.
Viewing and discussion of the movie “The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo,” 6 p.m., North Shore Horizons. The movie is rated “R” and has some graphic material so no one under 17 will be allowed without a parent/guardian. Free.
Full moon walk, 6-7:30 p.m., meet at Gooseberry Falls Lady Slipper Lodge.
Youth ATV training course, 10 a.m., Two Harbors Polaris. Cost $15. More, call 834-2101.
Age 55 and older driver improvement course, 8:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m., William Kelley School. Cost $20. An refresher course will also be held from 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Oct. 29 at the school. Cost for that event is $24. More, call (888)-234-1294.
North Shore Community School Halloween Carnival, 5:30-8:30 p.m.
- “Tracks, Burls and Lighthouse Dreams”, an exhibit of acrylic paintings by April Lehman will be on display through Oct. 18 at Vanilla Bean.
- “Full View,” a panoramic photo exhibition of Lake Superior taken from the shores of Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan and Canada, will be on display through Nov. 6 at Waterfront Gallery.
- Play cribbage at Harbor Point Apartments, 9:45 a.m., every Tuesday.
- Voyageur Art Club opens its art center, 516 S. Ave. in Two Harbors, 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays, 12-3 p.m. Sundays until end of September.
- North Shore Rotary meets every Tuesday, 7:15 a.m., Superior Shores Lounge. A club extension meets second and fourth Monday, 5:15 p.m., Dunnigan’s Pub.
- Call the Arrowhead Economic Opportunity Agency at (218) 749-2912 Ext. 223 to find out how you can get meals delivered to your home in Two Harbors and Silver Bay. You must be age 60 or older and homebound.