I’m running: Experience counts on boardHaving nearly 20 years of experience in public office, I realize most of the voters in my district have a good idea of who I am. For those of you who may be new to the area or haven’t had the chance to meet me, here is some background information.
By: Rick Goutermont, Lake County Commissioner, Lake County News Chronicle
Having nearly 20 years of experience in public office, I realize most of the voters in my district have a good idea of who I am. For those of you who may be new to the area or haven’t had the chance to meet me, here is some background information.
I have lived my entire 51 years in Lake County. Even in the lean years, I never moved away. During the lean years, I was able to raise my family on an annual income of $6,500. My family consists of my wife Keri, two daughters, two sons, and two wonderful grandchildren. They all live in Lake County.
Over my lifetime I have worked as a Ski Patrol and lift operator, laborer for Reserve Mining and later for the Building Trades, a logger for a few years, and mowed some lawns and picked up trash to make ends meet.
I also spent a few years with VanHouse Construction before getting back into the mining industry. I have been employed by Northshore Mining the past 18 years, the past 11 as a control room operator. I am also in my 26th year as an active firefighter with the Silver Bay Fire Department.
My leisure time is spent enjoying the recreational activities that most of us live here for. Fishing, hunting, snowmobiling, ATVing and anything else that will get me outdoors. I work hard to sustain and enhance all our recreational opportunities so that everyone in Lake County can enjoy the outdoors.
As for governmental experience, here is a partial list of what I have been fortunate enough to be involved with:
- Chair of the Lake County Board
- Assistant Emergency Management Director for Lake County
- Board member of the Lake County Ambulance (11 years)
- Chair East Lake Clinic District (18 years)
- Lake County Buildings and Grounds Chair (18 years)
- Lake County Negotiations Committee (18 years)
- Governor-appointed member of the Lake Superior Coastal Council (12 years)
- Board member of the Arrowhead Regional Corrections Board (18 years)
- Vice Chair of the Lake and St. Louis Rail Authority Board
- MnDOT Variance Committee (12 years)
- Lake County Recreation Board member (18 years)
- Sunrise Nursing Home Board member (18 years)
- Lake County Human Services Board member (18 years)
- Silver Bay City Council (1 year prior to being elected commissioner)
- have had the honor to work with countless council members, supervisors, commissioners, and legislators the past 19 years and have learned something from each and every one of them. I have worked hard over the years to get all levels of government to work together. By working together we reduce the duplication of services and the end result is a savings to the taxpayer.
A good example was when the county and cities stepped up to help our school district demolish the old high school in Two Harbors. This joint effort saved the taxpayers of Lake County hundreds of thousands of dollars and most of the money that was spent stayed right here locally.
The experience and knowledge I have gained over the years about how each level of government works is extremely valuable in getting the job done.
I appreciate your continued support over the years and encourage you to once again get out and vote Nov. 2.
If you should have any questions or concerns, feel free to call me at (218) 226-4982 or email me at rickgoutermont @hotmail.com.