Calendar: July 23-Sept. 1Event listings are free and run until the date passes. Send your information to chronicle@lcnews chronicle.com, call 834-2141.
- Bay Days in Beaver Bay and Silver Bay. See Page 1A.
- Socially Active Seniors sloppy joe lunch, 11 a.m.-3 p.m., Two Harbors Community Center.
- Agate Hockey Four-Person Golf Scramble, 1 p.m., Lakeview National Golf Course. More, call 834-2664.
- James Moors performs, 7 p.m., band shell at Thomas Owens Park. Folk rock singer. If rain, concert will be at United Church of Two Harbors.
- “If These Falls Could Talk”, a history of Gooseberry Falls, 8 p.m., Lady Slipper Lodge at Gooseberry Falls State Park. Other naturalist programs will run from 10 a.m.-3:30 p.m at the park. For a detailed schedule, visit www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_gooseberry_falls
- Book signing and presentation by author Chris Niskanen, author of Prairie, Lake, Forest, 8-8:45 p.m., Lady Slipper Lodge at Gooseberry Falls State Park.
- “Roadside Geology of Minnesota” with author and geologist Richard Ojakangas, 10 a.m., Sugarloaf Cove Nature Center on Highway 61 at milepost 73. Discover how the North Shore was formed and why it is so different from the rest of the state.
- Fireside Gallery Chat, 1-3 p.m., Northwoods Pioneer Gallery and Gifts in Castle Danger. Join Shelley Getten, poet and block print artist, for a poetry reading and discussion of poetry and art.
- “Nature’s Architect: The Beaver” presentation, 8-8:45 p.m., Lady Slipper Lodge at Gooseberry Falls State Park. Other naturalist programs will run from 10:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m at the park. For a detailed schedule, visit www.dnr. state.mn.us/state_gooseberry_falls
- “Life of a Voyageur” presentation, 8-8:45 p.m., Lady Slipper Lodge at Gooseberry Falls State Park. Other naturalist programs will run from 10:30 a.m.-3:30 p.m at the park. For a detailed schedule, visit www.dnr.state.mn.us/state_gooseberry_falls
- Child Evangelism Fellowship 5-Day Club, 12-2:30 p.m., Two Harbors E-Free Church, 973 Scenic Drive. Treats, games, songs, bible stories. Call 834-3323 or 834-2606 for more information.
- Cultural film set in South Korea, pilot for fall foreign film series, 6 p.m., Two Harbors Public Library. More information available at library or call 834-3148.
- “Confessions of a Hiking Fanatic”, 8 p.m., Lady Slipper Lodge at Gooseberry Falls State Park. Talk to a naturalist who has hiked the entire Superior Hiking Trail.
- Socially Active Seniors picnic, 12 p.m., 2565 Highway 2. For rides and reservations, call 830-0600.
- Pre-concert dinner, 6-7:30 p.m., United Church, across the street from Thomas Owens Park. $5 per plate.
- City Band concert, 7:30 p.m., Thomas Owens Park.
- Silver Creek Town Hall dance/social, 7-11 p.m. Bring a treat to share, a friend and your dancing shoes.
- Friday concert series, 7 p.m. at Thomas Owens Park.
- Come to Tettegouche State Park and have the University of Minnesota Astronomy Department take you on a tour of the night skies, 8:30-10 p.m., Tettegouche State Park. More, call 226-6365.
- Grandma’s Nine-Hole Golf Scramble, coffee and registration at 9 a.m., Lakeview National. Tee time at 10 a.m., lunch to follow. To enter call Carlene at 834-4287 by July 29. All grandmas welcome.
- Socially Active Seniors boat ride on St. Louis River, 9 a.m., followed by lunch. Call 830-0600 to reserve.
- Pre-concert taco dinner, 6-7:30 p.m., United Church, across the street from Thomas Owens Park. $5 per plate.
- City Band concert, 7:30 p.m., Thomas Owens Park. Betty Barthman directing. Performances include “Proud Heritage March” by William Latham, “Bells Across the Meadows” by A.W. Ketelbey, “Moonlight Serenade” by Glenn Miller and “Pastels” by Gordon MacRae.
- “Fascinating Fungi” with author and naturalist Larry Weber, 10 a.m., Sugarloaf Cove Nature Center on Highway 61 at milepost 73. Take walk and learn to identify mushrooms of the North Shore. He is a retired teacher and author of several books including “Fascinating Fungi of the North Woods.” Free.
- Chmielewski Funtime Band performance, 1 p.m. opening act Florian, Funtime Band starts at 2 p.m., Thomas Owens Park Band Shell. It’s a collaborative fund-raiser with the American Legion. Suggested donation is $5.
- Digital Photography Bridge to Nature Teacher Workshop, 11 a.m.-3 p.m., Sugarloaf Cove Nature Center on Highway 61 at milepost 73. Earn continuing education units and learn how to use nature photography to enhance curriculum for grades 3-9. Free, bring your own lunch. Register by calling Alexis at 218-663-7679 or email email@example.com
- Finnish Tori and Music Fest, 10-6 p.m.; bon fire starts at dusk, Finland Minnesota Heritage Site. There will also be a pancake breakfast 8 a.m.-noon Aug. 15.
- High school volleyball practice begins, 8-11 a.m. Call Brooke Chaffee, 320-980-2240 with any questions.
- Field and Screen Photography Workshop with landscape photographer Chris Sandberg, 10 a.m., Sugarloaf Cove Nature Center on Highway 61 at milepost 73. $5 per person. Reservations required, call 218-663-7679.
- Socially Active Seniors boat ride on St. Louis River, 9 a.m., followed by lunch at Perkins. Call 830-0600 to reserve.
- Sugar Loaf Cove will offer summer programs Thursday through Sunday throughout summer.
- “Attacking Invasive Workdays,” 10 a.m. Thursdays; “Not So Early Bird Walks,” 10 a.m. Fridays; “Lake Superior Flora,” 2 p.m. Fridays; “Tracks, Trails and Tails,” 2 p.m. Saturdays; “Lake Superior Rocks,” 10 a.m. Sundays. For more, visit www.sugarloafnorthshore.org.
- Voyageur Art Club opens its art center, 516 S. Ave. in Two Harbors, 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays, 12-3 p.m. Sundays until end of September.
- Caregiver Sharing groups, second Monday evenings of each month from 6–7:30 p.m., Lake View Memorial Hospital in the lower level meeting room. Day group time at same location in Two Harbors second Thursday of each month from 12:30-2 p.m. In Silver Bay, day group time, second Wednesday of each month from 1-2:30 p.m., United Protestant Church. Contact Linda Kinnunen at Community Partners at 834-8024 for more.
- North Shore Rotary meets every Tuesday, 7:15 a.m., Superior Shores Lounge. A club extension meets second and fourth Monday, 5:15 p.m., Dunnigan’s Pub.
- The Two Harbors City Council meets the second and fourth Mondays of each month in chambers at City Hall, 522 First Ave. The finance/personnel committee meets 5 p.m. and the regular meeting begins at 7 p.m.
- Call the Arrowhead Economic Opportunity Agency at (218) 749-2912 Ext. 223 to find out how you can get meals delivered to your home in Two Harbors and Silver Bay. You must be age 60 or older and homebound.