Celebrating the club that saved TettegoucheFrom private club to state ownership, what today is called Tettegouche Camp at Tettegouche State Park has always been a spectacular place to take in the scenery of the North Shore.
From private club to state ownership, what today is called Tettegouche Camp at Tettegouche State Park has always been a spectacular place to take in the scenery of the North Shore.
This Sunday, you can learn all about the camp that grew from a clear-cut logging camp to the walk-in camping provided today by the park system.
The 100-year anniversary of the Tettegouche Club will be celebrated with a free open house with history demonstrations, hikes, tours, interpretive sessions and refreshments.
A shuttle bus will allow easy access to what is normally a hike-in facility. Meet at the William Kelley High School parking lot at 137 Banks Blvd. in Silver Bay
for shuttles leaving every hour on the half hour. The first shuttle departs at 10:30 a.m. and last shuttle departs at 4:30 p.m. For more information, call 226-6365.
In 1898, the Alger-Smith Lumber Company from Michigan began cutting the virgin pine forests of northeastern Minnesota. A logging camp was set up on the shores of a lake the loggers called Nipisiquit, an Indian name from a tribe in New Brunswick, Canada, the loggers’ native country. They took the Algonquin names for New Brunswick landmarks and gave them to the lakes in Tettegouche.
In 1910, after removing most of the Norway and white pine, the logging company sold the camp and surrounding acreage to the “Tettegouche Club,” a group of businessmen from Duluth who used the area as a fishing camp and retreat. One of its members, Clement Quinn, bought the others out in 1921 and continued to act as a protector for the area until 1971, when Quinn sold Tettegouche to the deLaittres family.
The deLaittres continued Quinn’s tradition of stewardship for the land, beginning negotiations several years later for the preservation of Tettegouche as a state park. During these years, the Nature Conservancy, a private land conservation organization, played a vital role (along with other concerned individuals and groups) in the transfer of ownership. Finally, on June 29, 1979, legislation was enacted establishing Tettegouche as a state park.
The old camp was preserved and placed on the National register of Historic Places in 1989. It was restored by 1994 for use as a hike-in overnight and day-use facility.
Established in 1979 to preserve an outstanding example of the North Shore Highlands Biocultural Region, the 9,346 acres of Tettegouche State Park contain a unique combination of natural features: rugged, semi-mountainous terrain, one mile of Lake Superior shoreline, six inland lakes, cascading rivers and waterfalls, and an undisturbed northern hardwood forest.
Nature lovers adore this park. Hiking trails along the Baptism River provide views of many falls and cascades including High Falls, the spectacular 60-foot waterfall. In addition, a section of the Superior Hiking Trail runs through the park. Inland, the birch-aspen forests of the shore are replaced by maple, yellow birch, basswood, white spruce and red oak.
From Minnesota State Park files.