Sports roundup: May 16
Softball The Agates softball team is 8-5 after a busy week on the field.
It was a good call for them – they added three wins to their record during the streak of games over the weekend.
On Friday, they split a pair of games with Marshall, winning one 7-4 and losing the second 12-9. Sara Fjeran pitched the games. Brianna McGrath and Ayla Lemke led the scoring in the winning game.
On Saturday, the girls defeated Ely and Cook County soundly at home, with Lemke on the pitching mound. She also pitched Tuesday when the girls defeated Barnum, allowing only 2 earned runs and striking out 25 girls in those three games.
The worn out girls dropped their next two games, falling 13-0 to Moose Lake / Willow River and 6-4 to Virginia on Wednesday.
Tiffani Johnson and Sarah Fjeran are leading the team in hitting this year, with batting averages of .571 and .541 respectively.
The girls played at Silver Bay this morning and head to Esko this afternoon. The section tournaments begins next Tuesday.
Baseball The baseball squad won one and lost one over the last week, easily defeating Cook County on Saturday 12-4 and falling to Moose Lake / Willow River on Wednesday.
Freshman Easton Best and senior Mark Pearson each had two hits in the loss.
The boys played Silver Bay this morning and head to Esko tonight. They play Hermantown on Tuesday Barnum and Wrenshall on Wednesday. On Thursday, they play at Virginia and playoffs start May 27.
Track and field Two Harbors hosted the Polar League Outdoor Conference Championship on Wednesday, and the Agates had a strong performance at the meet. The girls finished 2nd of 12 teams and the boys finished 3rd of 12. The Mariners finished 7th and 11th, respectively.
Freshman Ian Johnson had a strong showing in the hurdles, finishing 1st in the 110-meter race and 2nd in the 300-meter race. Promising eighth-grader Kiviok Hight secured 2nd in the 1600-meter run.
For the girls, junior Leann Fynboh sprinted to top finishes, coming in 2nd in the 100-meter dash and 1st in the 400-meter dash.
On the field side, junior Casey Cross dominated in throwing. She placed 1st in shot put, more than two feet ahead of the second place thrower. In discus, she secured 2nd, and she and the 1st-place finisher were more than eight feet in front of the next finisher.
Senior Shannon Lysaker was competitive in the high jump for the boys, placing 2nd.
The subsections are on May 21 and Section 7A tournament is on May 29.
• Golf team at Virginia Municipal Golf Course
• SB vs. TH baseball, 9 a.m. at Silver Bay
• SB vs. TH softball, 9 a.m. at Silver Bay
• TH baseball, 4 p.m. at Esko
• TH softball, 4 p.m. at Esko
• THHS prom
• Golf team at Northland Country Club
• SB baseball, 4:30 p.m. at home vs. Nashwauk-Keewatin
• TH middle school band / choir concert, 7 p.m. at THHS.
• TH baseball, 4:30 p.m. at Hermantown
• Softball begins tournament (TBD; watch www.twoharborsmn.com for updates)
• Track and field varsity sectional tournament, 10 a.m. at University of Minnesota Duluth
• TH baseball, 12 p.m. at Barnum
• TH baseball, 4 p.m. at home vs. Wrenshall
• TH baseball, 4:30 p.m. at Virginia
• SB baseball, 4:30 p.m. at Cook County