Weather Forecast

Close
Advertisement

Lake County Past: Aug. 1

Email Sign up for Breaking News Alerts
life Two Harbors, 55616
Two Harbors Minnesota 109 Waterfront Dr. 55616

1914

Fire Department dance

The social dance which the members of the Two Harbors Volunteer Fire Department have had under consideration for some time, will be given at the Glen Hall Thursday evening. The Two Harbors Marine Orchestra, supplemented by a trap drummer, will furnish the music. Arrangements have been made to have the hall elaborately and appropriately decorated. Those in charge of the affair state that nothing will be left undone what will in any way aid in making this one of the most pleasant and enjoyable dance parties given in this city for some time. An invitation is extended to everyone, and special efforts will be made to see that all, whether strangers or otherwise, have a pleasant evening.

Advertisement
Advertisement

1939

Two Harbors gets 1940 Moose convention

Contending with South St. Paul and Aitkin, Two Harbors was designated as the 1940 convention city of the order. Thousands of outsiders will visit Two Harbors at convention time.

Officers of the local lodge will meet to name committees who will be charged with the responsibility of staging parties, dances and various other means of raising money with which to meet the expenses necessary for such a meeting.

1989

Harbors of refuge study garners strong support

The North Shore Management Board initiated their harbors of refuge study with three public meetings. The purpose of the meetings was to inform the public about the study and to begin the process of obtaining public opinion about the need for a location of safe harbors along the North Shore of Lake Superior.

Over 175 people attended, indicating a strong and positive support for the concept and the need to identify additional harbors of refuge sites. Safety was emphasized as a top priority as well as the concept of multiple use, designing harbors for a variety of users rather than for a single interest group. Additionally, the public seemed to favor a mix in the variety of harbors, including small low impact “duck-ins” in remote or undeveloped areas and more full service marina-type facilities in existing commercial areas. There seemed to be strong feelings about protecting sensitive resource areas and encouraging growth in those areas designated for commercial purposes.

Tettegouche Camp Historic District entered on National Register

The Tettegouche Camp Historic District in Beaver Bay recently was entered on the National Register of Historic Places. The historic district includes nine buildings and two structures, the oldest of which dates back to 1895, when the camp was operated by Alger Smith and Co., a Michigan-based lumber firm. Most of the buildings are of the rustic architectural style and were constructed after about 1910, when the newly formed Tettegouche Club purchased the camp for recreational uses.

1914

Fire Department dance

The social dance which the members of the Two Harbors Volunteer Fire Department have had under consideration for some time, will be given at the Glen Hall Thursday evening. The Two Harbors Marine Orchestra, supplemented by a trap drummer, will furnish the music. Arrangements have been made to have the hall elaborately and appropriately decorated. Those in charge of the affair state that nothing will be left undone what will in any way aid in making this one of the most pleasant and enjoyable dance parties given in this city for some time. An invitation is extended to everyone, and special efforts will be made to see that all, whether strangers or otherwise, have a pleasant evening.

1939

Two Harbors gets 1940 Moose convention

Contending with South St. Paul and Aitkin, Two Harbors was designated as the 1940 convention city of the order. Thousands of outsiders will visit Two Harbors at convention time.

Officers of the local lodge will meet to name committees who will be charged with the responsibility of staging parties, dances and various other means of raising money with which to meet the expenses necessary for such a meeting.

1989

Harbors of refuge study garners strong support

The North Shore Management Board initiated their harbors of refuge study with three public meetings. The purpose of the meetings was to inform the public about the study and to begin the process of obtaining public opinion about the need for a location of safe harbors along the North Shore of Lake Superior.

Over 175 people attended, indicating a strong and positive support for the concept and the need to identify additional harbors of refuge sites. Safety was emphasized as a top priority as well as the concept of multiple use, designing harbors for a variety of users rather than for a single interest group. Additionally, the public seemed to favor a mix in the variety of harbors, including small low impact “duck-ins” in remote or undeveloped areas and more full service marina-type facilities in existing commercial areas. There seemed to be strong feelings about protecting sensitive resource areas and encouraging growth in those areas designated for commercial purposes.

Tettegouche Camp Historic District entered on National Register

The Tettegouche Camp Historic District in Beaver Bay recently was entered on the National Register of Historic Places. The historic district includes nine buildings and two structures, the oldest of which dates back to 1895, when the camp was operated by Alger Smith and Co., a Michigan-based lumber firm. Most of the buildings are of the rustic architectural style and were constructed after about 1910, when the newly formed Tettegouche Club purchased the camp for recreational uses.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement